FAQs (Visa)

1. Who needs to apply for Nigerian entry visa?
Everyone who wishes to enter Nigeria, regardless of their purpose of visit and intended length of stay, need to apply for Nigerian entry visa except nationals of ECOWAS countries.
* ECOWAS countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote D’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
2. Can I get visa on arrival at a Nigerian airport?
No. You need to apply for visa before your departure at the nearest Nigerian Mission of your residence.
3. For how long is the visa valid?
The Visa is valid within 3 months from the date of issue for presentation at a Nigerian port.
4. When is the best time to apply for visa?
Within 1 month from your departure is reasonable to submit your visa application. It should not be more than 3 months before your departure.
5. For how many days can I stay in Nigeria with entry visa?
The duration of stay in Nigeria will depend on your request in your application.
6. Yellow fever vaccination certificate (Yellow card) is no longer included in visa requirements. Does that mean I will not be requested to show the yellow card at the point of entry?
No. You will not be requested to show yellow card at the point of entry. You therefore have the choice to take yellow fever vaccination or not. We, however, recommend that you take anti-malarial drugs before travelling to Nigeria.
7. Where can I take/buy anti-malarial drug?
Please contact Japanese Quarantine office.
8. For Business visa, does a Nigerian company still need to fax the invitation letter to the Embassy before the application?
It is not necessary for them to fax the invitation letter to the Embassy as long as you have the invitation letter at the time of application.
9. I live far away from Tokyo. Can I post my application? And how long does it usually take to receive visa?
You can use a travel agent to apply for visa on your behalf. If you can’t find anyone to do it for you and you live far from Tokyo, application by post can be acceptable. Please enclose a self-addressed and stamped return envelope along with the complete set of requirements (including application fee) addressed to:
Consular Section (VISA)
Embassy of Nigeria 3-6-1, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0001

* Please note that the Embassy is not responsible for any loss, damage or delay of documents and passports.
* You will be contacted if your application documents are not complete. Please make sure to write your contact telephone number on the application form.
Posted applications will be treated as direct applications in accordance with Visa application/collection days.

10. My flight will stop at a Nigerian airport for few hours before proceeding to my destination. Do I need to apply for Nigeria Transit Visa?
If you need to pass through immigration gate for any reasons (e.g. to pick up luggage, etc) at a Nigerian airport, you may need to have transit visa.
11. I may not be able to receive the original invitation letter posted from Nigeria before my visa application. Can I use faxed copy of invitation for the application?
As long as it is clear enough to read and has signature of your supporter, faxed invitation letter or print-out of scanned one attached to an e-mail is accepted.


1. I live far from Tokyo. Is it possible for me to post my application?
Basically, we appreciate physical presence to process applications. However, applications limited to the followings can be accepted by posting:
- Renewal of Passport
- Child Registration
- Update of your personal information (by fax) (download Form) pdf
2. How can I get a new passport?
At present, you need to go back to Nigeria or travel to India or Malaysia to apply for a new passport. If you travel to Nigeria after the expiration of your passport, you need to apply for an Emergency Travel Certificate first (See Travel Documents for detail).
3. My passport is still valid for the next 2 years. Can I renew my passport now or should I wait until it expires?
We don’t set any limitation for the application for renewal of passports, therefore, you can apply.
4. Can my ECOWAS-passport be renewed?
Yes. It can be renewed for another 5 years. However, endorsements of children and observations of any kind which could be done in the old passport can no longer be done in the new passports.
5. We processed our marriage in Japan and now we have decided to divorce. Is there any document we need to obtain from the Embassy?
No. As long as your marriage was processed under Japanese law, divorce should also be processed in accordance with Japanese law. However, you may wish to inform the Embassy of your divorce for record purposes.
6. I am a Japanese woman married to a Nigerian and we have a child. How can my child have Nigerian nationality?
Your child is automatically a Nigerian since your husband is a Nigerian.
7. I want to change my Nigerian driver’s licence to a Japanese one. Can I obtain the translation of Nigerian driver licence, which is one of the requirements, from the Embassy? Can I also have my driver licence authenticated?
The Embassy would not be able to do the translation for you but your Nigerian driver’s license can be authenticated, if considered genuine.
Embassy InformationEconomic,Trade&InvestmentNigeria in FocusNigerian NewspaperNigeria Japan Relations

Sights & Sounds